Monday, January 30, 2006

Worry is a waste of life

"What worries you masters you."
- Haddon W. Robinson

No one wants to think of themselves as having a master, to be in a slave position. Yet many people put themselves in that position.

Worry is a waste of life. It has never accomplished anything, has never produced anything positive, has never improved even one life in the smallest way.

It has wasted huge amounts of time, eaten away at countless lives to the point where they are incapable of being happy or thinking positively, destroyed families and caused many people to become hermits within their diminished existences.

There is a switch within our minds. It's two points are positive and negative. When a situation arises where there is a possibility for failure or tragedy, worry takes the negative position.

The positive position is as easy to take. It's simply a matter of telling ourselves that the problem will work out OK. It requires a leap of faith that seems hard to take than the leap in the other direction.

Remember, you can't help anyone by worrying about them. You can't help yourself either. You can only hurt yourself and maybe your relationship.

In 99.99 percent of the cases where people worry, the problem resolves itself and life goes on. In the other 0.01 percent, the worrier dies of heart failure.

No matter how bad today looks, the sun will rise tomorrow. In all likelihood, so you will you.

If you thought positively about the now-old problem, you can look back and laugh at it. If you thought negatively, you will be too busy looking for something else to worry about to look back anyway.

Remember that switch. It's within your control.

Bill Allin
'Turning It Around: Causes and Cures for Today's Epidemic Social Problems,' striving to make worry a history lesson.
Learn more at

No comments: